psst…”one of our customers asked us to pass this on” – https://t.co/VcfboQrdoF
Your washing machine and bacteria; what do they have in common?…. Oxygen, Moisture and Warm Temperatures – the perfect nesting ground for bacteria to multiply. In just 7 hours one bacterium can multiply to produce 2,097,152 bacteria. As well as this, your washing machine endures the residues of the gunk from overuse of washing solutions as well as fabric softeners that haven’t been dissolved or properly washed away.
Like us, washing machines need a little tender loving care, so here’s a simple step by step guide to give you the best answer to How to clean your Washing Machine. It is applicable to all makes and models of front loaders.
Don’t wait until you have a bad smell coming from your machine, or until no matter what detergent you use, your freshly washed clothes have a bit of a whiff to them.
How to clean your washing machine
What you’ll need:-
• Cleaning cloth
• Old toothbrush – not essential but if you want to get in all the cracks and corners you may want one!
• Detergent – Distinctive is our preferred choice.
• Hydrogen Peroxide – available in most Pharmacies and my biggest recommended store cupboard cleaning product. Some people like to use white vinegar and sodium bicarbonate but a bad smelling machine will benefit from a splash of 6 or 9% standard Hydrogen peroxide solution for a hygienic clean.
1) Run a routine empty maintenance wash to clean the drum – add a little Distinctive to your drawer or your usual powder, turn the dial up to a hot (preferably 90 degrees) wash and press start.
2) Once finished, wipe out the inside of the drawer (soak in your washing up bowl if it’s particularly bad, don’t forget to look inside the compartment at the back and the roof to see if that’s at all black too. If it is, an old toothbrush will come in handy to give it a good clean. Lastly, don’t forget to wipe around the rubber door seal and on the inside of the drum and window (hair and dust collect there) simply with a cloth and hot water.
3) Next, wipe down the outside of your machine.
4) If you’re after a deep clean or you’ve noticed the drawer compartment and inside the drawer is particularly black and gunky then run an empty wash with some hydrogen peroxide in each compartment in the drawer to flush out the tubes after thoroughly removing the black and gunk. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down simply to water and oxygen and wont harm the insides of your machine at all, plus its super safe around the home if any is spilled. It’s what professionals use to help sterilise laundry equipment.
5) Finally, leave your drawer and washing machine door open to let the air circulate and the machine dry.
6) Now you can wash as normal.
One Distinctive sparkly clean washing machine!
• Don’t use excess detergent – this can block the tubes.
• Never use a separate fabric softener. Using Distinctive the cationic softening process is enough – try us out, you wont miss a gunky fabric softener if you use a Distinctive washing formula.
• Pre soak soiled items prior to washing. A bucket is great for that and you’ll never need an additional stain remover product if you pre soak in cool water with some Distinctive
• If you have muddy kit – don’t expect to throw it all in caked with mud, soak and rinse most of it off if possible first.
• Leave the door open after each wash to prevent bacteria build up.
• Run an empty hot maintenance wash once a month.
Every six months inspect the drain hose and pump filter. That’s the little compartment usually at the bottom right of the machine. If you’re lucky that’s the place loose change left in the wash goes. Unlucky and you will find a filter full of yuck to clean away!
If you need help with this, or other laundry issues talk to us on web chat at www.DistinctiveWash.co.uk
Help spread the words with friends and family about How to clean your washing machine. We had never used Hydrogen peroxide solution in the home prior to launching Distinctive and have to say it has replaced every other disinfectant product we buy. It treats teens spots, sterilises cloths, brightens whites and disinfects everything – including stale drains and you only need the smallest splash!
It’s great to know that by using Distinctive formula and hydrogen peroxide around the home, (both fully biodegradable and safe) means that household product choices aren’t having a detrimental effect on the environment.
Helpful sources for microbiology you may wish to check out!
RT @Distinctivewash: If you want to get a ewww out of work colleagues this morning. Did you know your body sheds 10 grams of skin cells a…
If you want to get a ewww out of work colleagues this morning. Did you know your body sheds 10 grams of skin cell… https://t.co/Z0ZY7GCjLb
An overview of the science behind how Detergents work. http://home.howstuffworks.com/laundry-detergent1.htm #science #laundry
HowStuffWorks “Laundry Detergent’s Cleaning Power”
The average American family does 300 loads of laundry a year. That’s a lot of laundry detergent! Learn all about laundry detergent in this article.